The Inge Morath Award, 2013
The Magnum Foundation and the Inge Morath Foundation announce the 12th annual Inge Morath Award. The annual award of $5,000 is given to a female photographer under the age of 30, to support the completion of a long-term documentary project. One award winner and up to two finalists are selected by a jury composed of Magnum photographers and the director of the Inge Morath Foundation.
Inge Morath was an Austrian-born photographer who was associated with Magnum Photos for nearly fifty years. After her death in 2002, the Inge Morath Foundation was established to manage Morath’s estate and facilitate the study and appreciation of her contribution to photography. Because Morath devoted much of her enthusiasm to encouraging women photographers, her colleagues at Magnum Photos established the Inge Morath Award in her honor. The award is now administered by the Magnum Foundation as part of its mission of supporting the next generation of socially-conscious documentary photographers, in cooperation with the Inge Morath Foundation.
Past winners of the Inge Morath Award include: Isadora Kosofsky (US, ’12), for Selections from “The Three” and “This Existence;” Zhe Chen (China, ’11) for Bees; Lurdes R. Basolí (Spain, ’10) for Caracas, The City of Lost Bullets and Claire Martin (Australia, ’10) for Selections from The Downtown East Side and Slab City; Emily Schiffer (US, ’09) for Cheyenne River; Kathryn Cook (US, ’08) for Memory Denied: Turkey and the Armenian Genocide; Olivia Arthur (UK, ’07) for The Middle Distance; Jessica Dimmock (US, ’06) for The Ninth Floor; Mimi Chakarova (US, ’06) for Sex Trafficking in Eastern Europe; Claudia Guadarrama (MX, ’05) for Before the Limit; and Ami Vitale (US, ’02), for Kashmir.
All submissions must be postmarked or delivered by April 30th, 2013.
Form of Submission:
- Your submission must be delivered as a PDF file. Quicktime, Powerpoint, and other formats will NOT be accepted.
- (How do I create a PDF with a Mac? How do I create a PDF with a PC?)
- The first page of your PDF should show your name and the title of your project. Each subsequent page should present a single photograph (unless groups of images are required) with caption (if relevant), using the full frame of the PDF page.
- Please do NOT format your PDF as a slideshow. Also, please do not password-protect your file.
- A folder containing individual image files (JPEGs) must accompany the PDF file.
- Your submission must include 40 – 60 photographs (1200 pixels on the longest side @ 150 DPI saved as a JPEG compression at 8 minimum).
- In the folder containing your individual images, please use numbered filenames indicating the image sequence, with the number coming first in the file name and then last name; for example: 01_Smith, 02_Smith, 03_Smith etc. (use only two digit numbers; 01, 02, 03, etc.).
Required Support Material:
- Project description. This should describe the project and how the Award will be used to complete work on the project.
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum three pages) including name, email address, telephone number, and mailing address.
- Photocopy or scan of ID clearly showing date of birth. All applicants must be under the age of 30 on April 30th, 2012 (in other words, if April 30th is your birthday, and you’re turning 30, then you’re no longer eligible to submit a proposal).
- If you wish to submit your files digitally, please compress your submission (PDF + folder of JPEGs) into ONE FILE (for example, using .zip or .rar) before sending.
- Digital files may be submitted to this address: https://dropbox.yousendit.com/ingemorath
- It is highly recommended that anyone submitting digitally contact the Inge Morath Foundation to confirm that your submission has been received. Please do so by email, not by phone. You will be notified when your submission is processed.
Submissions By Mail:
- Please label your CD with your name and contact information, and please test the CD to ensure that both it and all your files are functional.
- Submissions may be mailed to the address below:
Inge Morath Award
c/o Magnum Foundation
547 West 27th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10001 USA
Return of Submissions:
Submissions that are not accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope will not be returned. Applicants waive any claims for loss of or damage to their submissions.
Announcement of Winner:
The winner of the Inge Morath Award will be announced on the web sites of the Magnum Foundation and the Inge Morath Foundation in July, 2013.
All submissions must consist of work done solely by the submitting photographer.
Photographers represented by Magnum Photos and their immediate relatives are not eligible.
IM Award recipients and finalists grant the Magnum Foundation a license to reproduce, display and distribute their submissions solely in connection with the administration and judging of the Inge Morath Award, including on the Magnum Foundation website and the Inge Morath Foundation website.
IM Award recipients agree that any future publication, exhibition or display of the funded project shall credit the Inge Morath Award and the Magnum Foundation.
Upon completion of the funded project, a final (digital) copy must be provided to the Magnum Foundation. The Foundation, in furtherance of its charitable purposes, may, in the future, (1) display the project on its website and make it available for display on the website of the Inge Morath Foundation; and (2) publicly display the project (or excepts from it) in connection with exhibitions or promotional materials related to the Inge Morath Award. The Foundation will credit the artist as the author and copyright holder of her photographs.
IM Award recipients may be required to provide additional identifying information prior to receiving payment.